“The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.” Albert Einstein
At Croftlands Infant & Nursery school our aim is to provide a science curriculum that engages and inspires children to explore the world around them. Through exciting, stimulating and challenging practical experiences we aim to spark their curiosity and inspire them to want to find out more.
Embedded within our curriculum is the belief that curiosity has led to great advances in science and that it is also the key to successful scientific education. Our children are encouraged to question, investigate and explore the world around them. We believe that these opportunities will ensure that our children are confident, life-long learners who will develop an appreciation of the beauty and wonder of science and have a deeper understanding of the world we live in.
- Our main science teaching with Key Stage 1 is ‘blocked’ with a teacher who is solely responsible for planning, delivering and assessing this subject. This allows the children the time to focus in depth upon concepts.
- Understanding of the world in EYFS is taught mainly through topic work.
- The children are taught to plan their own investigations using the change/measure/same method with a view to this being used independently by the end of Year Two.
- Science takes place outdoors as much as possible so that children have first-hand experience of the environment they are learning about.
- Children are encouraged to generate their own questions and taught that this is the first step towards all great scientific discoveries. Throughout all lessons questioning is an important tool to establish understanding and encourage deeper thinking.
Our ‘hands on’ approach to science leads to engaged learners and children who can operate as scientists.
Our approach to science allows children to think about concepts in depth and revisit to build on knowledge gained throughout EYFS & KS1.
Our children become confident using scientific terminology and applying concepts that they have learned. Throughout their science education the children are exposed to many memorable experiences which help to embed their learning and create a desire to learn more, thus planting the seed to become life-long learners in this subject.
Click here for the KS1 Science Curriculum.
Please see 'Understanding the World' within Development Matters for EYFS Science links.
Science Knowledge Progression
Science Vocabulary Progression